The Buildings

The Desert Laboratory Buildings

The buildings half way up the hill were built in 1906 as the Carnegie Botanical Desert Laboratory, where cutting edge science in arid lands still occurs.

Script: Barbara Terkanian
Historical Advisor: Ken Scoville

Images (in order of appearance):

The Desert Laboratory ca. 1930, photographer unknown, courtesy of the Desert Laboratory
The Desert Laboratory ca. 1908, photographer unknown, courtesy of the Desert Laboratory
The Desert Laboratory ca. 1903, photographer unknown, courtesy of the Desert Laboratory
Aerial image, Google Earth, animation by Hannah Bergeron and Shipherd Reed
Lab buildings present day, Paul Mirocha
Scientific staff of the Desert Laboratory, 1908, courtesy of the Desert Laboratory
Effie Spalding ca. 1910, courtesy of the Desert Laboratory
Lab buildings present day, Paul Mirocha
Saguaro, courtesy of Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium
Barrel cactus and ants, Paul Mirocha
Ursula Basinger-Walholm taking data, Paul Mirocha
Lab buildings present day, Paul Mirocha