You are welcome to walk Tumamoc Hill every day between 4am and 10pm, so long as you stay on the paved road. You will enjoy vigorous, healthy exercise and a beautiful desert environment with an abundance of plants, animals, and birdlife.
You can park on the street along Anklam Road if you drive to the hill. If you ride, you can lock your bike to a metal post at the entrance.
About the Walk
Some people choose to walk to the mid-point and back. Others go for the summit. The upper road is steeper and has more switchbacks. There are benches along the road to allow you to stop, rest and enjoy the view. For your convenience, a Port-a-Let and a water fountain are placed at the mid-point. Take care to protect yourself from the sun. If you walk in the dark, carry a flashlight.
Please bring plenty of water in a refillable water bottle which you can re-fill at the fountain.
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about walking the hill:
- It is a 1.5 mile walk from base to top of hill
- It is a 3 mile round trip walk
- There is approximate 700 foot rise in elevation from bottom to top
- The grade is gentle on the bottom road, steeper on the upper road
Rules and Regulations
Tumamoc Hill, an active study site and ecological reserve of the University of Arizona. You are invited to walk the Hill every day from 4am to 10pm. You are required to stay on the paved road and within the overlook areas noted by perimeter cables, there are no exceptions to this.
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Do not bring pets on to the preserve
- Stay on the paved road, and please do not wander into the ecology reserve – this includes the top of the Hill, do not go beyond the fence or cables, this is a sensitive archeological and cultural area
- Please step to the side when vehicles approach
- Please bring a refillable water bottle – a refill station has been provided for your use
- Please use the garbage and recycling containers at the mid-point of the Hill to dispose of any unwanted items – help us maintain the health of the Hill by picking up other people’s garbage
- Smoking is strictly prohibited, please extinguish cigarettes or any other burning object prior to entering the site
- For the consideration of others and the wildlife please do not listen to amplified music or sound
- For the safety and pleasure of everyone using the hill, secure your bicycle at the bicycle rack at the entrance and please leave skate boards and all skates at home – bicycles and skate boards are not permitted on the Hill
- Please help protect the plants and animals of the hill by not handling, harming or removing them from their natural setting
- Do not bring any plant material or animals on to the hill
- Fire arms are prohibited on all University of Arizona facilities
- Drone use needs to follow University of Arizona Regulations and is not permitted unless approval of a drone request from is recieved, please see here for more infornmation: https://risk.arizona.edu/drones-campus
For University police assistance please dial UAPD at 520-621-8273 or for emergencies dial 911(please let 911 dispatcher know you are on UA Tumamoc hill)